RCK 011: WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN RAISING A BILINGUAL CHILD WITH MADALENA XANTHAOPOULOU
This week, I bring to you a conversation with educator and Trilingual mother, Madalena Xanthopoulou from The Alma Collective around 'What to Expect When Raising a Bilingual Child'.
Born in Brussels (the French part) to a Greek speaking father and German speaking mother, Madalena experienced first hand what it's like to grow up with a multitude of cultures and languages. This has impacted her life significantly and is now defining her children’s adventures too.
Being a mother herself she is passionate about providing not only her children with language opportunities but also provides other families with the same language engagement in London as she builds language-specific playgroups, focusing on 0-5 year olds.
Today we talk about:
- The importance of determining goals when it comes to language exposure - Do you want your child to recognize the language, understand the language, talk in the language or master the language?
- How to get started when introducing a second language.
- Why introducing a language is important to ensuring a child's heritage is passed on.
- Understanding the level of language input required to pass on a second language.
- The impact that she didn't realise would happen between Grandparent and Grandchild through the language.
- Plus much more
You'll leave this conversation rejecting your mama's guilt about what you are or aren't doing good enough for your kids and will feel empowered to KEEP GOING!
CONNECT WITH MADALENA:
You can find Madalena on the following social media platforms.
CONNECT WITH ME:
You can find us on all the following social media platforms.
LOVE OUR PODCAST?
If you've found this week's Podcast helpful, I would LOVE you to write a review!
Podcast reviews are super important to iTunes and the more reviews we receive the more likely iTunes will reward us with better reach. I want to help empower more mamas to give their kids a head start on their language journey and would love your help to make this a reality! I already love you forever, but I’d be extremely grateful if you would review me on iTunes!
If you’ve loved this podcast, never miss another one! All you have to do is SUBSCRIBE to the Raising Cultured Kids Podcast on iTunes.
JOIN THE CULTURED HOME LANGUAGE PROGRAM.
Want to teach your kids a language but don't know where to start? The Cultured Home language program was created for you and will give you a plan to engage your kids in a language every single week, regardless of your level of fluency.